Wednesday, March 3, 2010

sermon notes - Feb 28, 2010 FBC Palmetto

in light of my delay, i've finally found some time to get around to posting about my last church service at home before heading out to haiti. i wish i could convey what a heartwarming and blessing service it was. watching the pastor baptize his son, whom we've watched grow from learning to crawl at taco tuesdays in high school, to the young, fun, energetic 9-year-old he is today. seeing pastor allen's proud tears as both a pastor and a father was such a touching moment, and made me look forward to such a moment in my own life when my children (i said a moment, not any time soon!) make a personal decision to choose Christ and walk according to His ways in their own life. what a moment to remember, as a parent and as a believer! what a mighty God we serve!

then to see FBC's youth, lead by the Smith's daughter kaylee, sing "o happy day" backed by vocals of some of my own closest friends. it was a blessing to the ears, and to the heart. it really was a joyful celebration of the Lord, and you could tell the entire church was blessed.

but what stuck with me, was the message. and how it was so tailored to my last service there. the sermon was entitled, God Invited, God Sent. I am so blessed when the timing of such sermons is exactly what the Lord knew I needed. It was based on Exodus 3, when Moses was chosen by the Lord to lead God's people.

these are the rough notes i furiously typed away on my iPhone.

God has to get our attention before He can invite us. What is it that He has to do in our lives to get our attention? To release ourselves to Him? Before He can invited us to serve with Him, we have to be obedient to follow his call. Psalm 109: we have been fearfully and wonderfully made. We say, "why me? I'm inadequate!" (we'll get back to this). But the Lord knows how He's created us. He's purposed us with our quirks and lacks and flaws all the same.

When God calls us, he commissions us. (Verse 10) I will send thee. Before we go, we must go to Him. We must be willing to learn before we can teach. In the preparation, we must acquire the funds, make the reservations, pack, and do anything else in advance. Otherwise everything would fall to pieces. We must be prepared to go. We have to relinquish our lives, be obedient, say, "send me."

He identifies the purpose for us. The purpose of the burning bush was to get Moses' attention. To call us to service that we might be involved in ministering to others in the name of Jesus Christ. God uses us to see others come to the knowledge and saving grace of the Lord. We have to be willing to respond to the invitation.

(Verse 11) Who am I that I should go? Our first concern is that we are inadequate. But it is only our job to be obedient; it is us to the Lord to do it properly. In our haste, we give up before we ever get started. We forget: God chose ME. All the excuses fade. When we say we are unable, we tell God He doesn't know what He is doing. He chose us, He called us, and He will empower us. Each of us question His call when we realize the greatness of the work, and the greatness of our own inability. We must recognize, realize, and rely on the power of God to do it through us, and to get through it. He will supply all of our needs. He proves Himself adequate and faithful to every challenge. I AM, He is called. He is what we need him to be in every moment of our lives. There is no situation that God doesn't have a solution to. We see ourselves lacking what is needed for true success but with God in the situation, it changes and we can do it.

All throughout the Bible, God's people have been placed in opportunities they were pretty inadequate for. (Verse 12) Certainly I will be with you. He will empower those that respond obediently to His call. We are able to witness the saving power and life-changing power of the Lord. 2 Corinithians 5:17 assures us that we are new in Christ. We have assurance. The token is offered, we are the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. His Presence gives us courage. He's still God and will take care of us, is ever with us, will teach us and help us along the way so that we can be the best Christians we can be as we bring glory to God. We must be willing to do, trust, and recognize that the accomplishments belong to Him. He gives us the prospect. As we embark on new ground, learn new and exciting things and learn to rely on His presence more and more; we'll see what God has in store for each of us.

Our response should be with joyful obedience that He has chosen us to serve Him. All He asks is that we are willing to make the commitment to listen to God and respond to his call in obedience.

***

God caught my attention, and He invited me to go. Did I think I could successfully put my life on hold for 4 months? That I could raise the finances? That I would even do a lick of good in Haiti, not having previous teaching experience and being called well beyond my realm of comfort? Absolutely not. But He can, and will. All He was asking from me was that I was obedient to His call, and He would work the rest of it out. I know I am inadequate in my own flesh. But God, working through me? He's got it covered.

***

At the end of the service, I went to the alter to just dedicate this time strictly to the Lord. I didn't go up with anxiety, fear, or doubts. I went up, knowing and trusting fully that the Lord was going to complete a mighty work within and through me. I felt the presence of my close friends surrounding me and praying with me and laying their hands on me. To know that I have both God, and a ton of friends and family supporting me and praying for me, there is no way that I can fail. I am blessed to have this community of support and encouragement. I was completely beside myself up there. With tears of joy and a smile on my lips, I was able to just thank the Lord for all He was doing, and going to do, in my life and of those in Haiti. Send me, I smiled. You'll be with me the whole way.

No comments:

Post a Comment