Thursday, March 18, 2010

red sea - taking the long road

"When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land. God said, "If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea. Thus the Israelites left Egypt like an army ready for battle." -Exodus 13:17-18 NLT

Even in the 12 hours since I last read this passage, even more speaks to me from it. I love how the Lord's Word does that; with fresh revelation each time we read.

First, God did not allow the Israelites, His chosen people, to get to where they were going quickly. He did not allow them to take the main road, or the short cut. Biblically speaking, the main road is the road that many follow. But it is also the road that leads to destruction. Proverbs says that "There is a way that seems right to man, but in the end it leads to death," (16:25) and Matthew 7:13-14 tells us that "Wide is the road that leads to destruction, and many follow it." It is clear that the main road can seem, or even be, good at times. But often times, just going with the flow of traffic because it is easier is not pleasing to the Lord. God not only saw fit that His people not travel it, but he actually prevented them from doing so. Shortest doesn't necessarily translate to safest. And in this case, the Lord intervened and saw to it that the Israelites didn't even have the opportunity to deviate from His will.

The Lord also lead the Israelites into the wilderness to prepare them: "If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." Rather than allow them to be tempted with taking the easy way out, God forced them into a route that didn't allow them to nonchalantly bow out gracefully when the going got tough. How often do we look for the exit sign and run when we are faced with an obstacle that seems impossible for us to overcome? We are quick to even slap God's name on it and say that He's the one that closed the door or removed the opportunity before we even begin to pray about it or humbly petition the Lord God to move mountains in our favor.

The crazy thing here: God knew that in our flesh, we run at the sight of trouble. On our own, we are unable to withstand even the smallest trial or one that is seemingly impossible. It is only through Christ that we find out strength. "For my power is made perfect in weakness." (1 Cor. 12:10). The Lord was well aware of our sinfulness and our inability to often times rise to the occasion that the He has called us to. So, as preparation for their faith and revelation of His power, God led them into the wilderness off the beaten path.

When one of my pre-schoolers decided to make his playground revenge in the bathroom by relieving himself on one of the kindergarteners today, I was definitely ready to make my return to Egypt. Call the next taxi, book my ticket, I am headed home, and stat. Today was a definite challenge. I was hit with doubtful thoughts that reminded me how I've never witnessed such unruliness in a classroom back in the states. It was my most frustrating of days here in Haiti, and I was left praying just for the Lord to get me through it. Had I been on a the main road and not in the wilderness, how easy it would've been to throw in the towel and seek out another class? Maybe not as realistic, but definitely a huge temptation when things were as uproarious and unproductive as today was. But somehow, in my weakness, God's power is perfected. He strengthens me. He teaches me. He leads me to my destination, no matter how rough the terrain may become.

"So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness towards the Red Sea." Ever been at a place in your life where you could clearly see the destination, the desires of your heart, even those confirmed by God, only to find that the directions failed to include detours, road closings, and major construction zones? I chuckle at the thought of it; finding myself following the Lord's steps and seeing how off my path was from His (Proverbs 16:9) even with the same thing in sight.

Finding myself in Haiti seems a lot like a roundabout way through the wilderness to get to the Red Sea. Definitely not the main road I imagined taking to my dreams. I wonder if this is what the Israelites felt like. Did they meet the journey with confidence in the Lord, or did they question 'Why, God? That road is shorter!' Did they feel prepared before they got to the wilderness, or were they left clinging to the Lord out of fear and desperation? Would they have had sleepless nights in their makeshift tents, or were they so assured that in any-which-way, this was the Lord, fulfilling His promise to Moses that He would successfully lead them out of Egypt.

Do we realize that we are God's chosen people? The one's whom He has lived and died for? That the blood shed at the Red Sea at the deliverance of the Israelites is parallel to the blood shed on the cross for our own deliverance into the Promised Land? "Thanks be to God, who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord," (1 Cor. 15:56).

I feel like that is a good ending point, but there is one last thing I gleaned from reading in between the verses in this small passage: God genuinely cares for His people. I could cite a million verses about this, but I'll try to refrain and limit it to only a few. As our Creator, He knows our flesh and our minds; so he carved out a path in the wilderness to keep us on His. As our protector, He leads us on a path of least resistance, so that we'd be safe from the Egyptian army, as well as from our own fleshly desire to run. As our Father, He prepares us and disciplines us for the season. As our Lord, He is faithful and powerful and awesome.

And as our savior, He ultimately delivered us to the Promised Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment