Wednesday, May 19, 2010

cedez le passage


in france, there is a wonderful, familiar traffic sign that reads, "cedez le passage," meaning give way, or yield passage. this morning at prayer, i was reminded of this quaint phrase; one that i find nearly etched into memory as London's Mind the Gap. for some reason, this stuck out to me as a cry to the Lord; utilizing une autre langue to speak more clearly to the Lord than i can in my native tongue.

everyday, we must make a conscious effort to cedez le passage to God. i find it more than just yielding, merely just putting our own thoughts or plans on hold. but truly giving way to the Lord, allowing Him to do His works. even if it is a moment-by-moment, daily cry to the Lord, it is imperative to lay down our flesh and say "God have Your way." with time, it may become easier as good habits form and the enemies attacks are broken off; or it may become more difficult as the enemy wears and tears us down, tricking us into giving way to our flesh and our desires. either way, we need to be cognizant of the living God we serve, and how He so deeply desires to take care of us and our needs.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11, NIV)

through both the word and my own experience, i've come to realize that God knows much better than I. as our maker, he is the one that programmed us, knows our faults, knows our kinks, and knows what is ultimately best for us. who are we to question his plans, or even suggest that He should yield to ours?

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?' How terrible it would be if a newborn baby said to its father, 'Why was I born?' or if it said to its mother, 'Why did you make me this way?' This is what the Lord says-- the Holy One of Israel and your Creator: 'Do you question what I do for my children? Do you give me orders about the work of my hands? I am the one who made the earth and created people to live on it. With my hands I stretched out the heavens. All the stars are at my command. I will raise up Cyrus to fulfill my righteous purpose, and I will guide his actions." (Isaiah 45:9-13, NLT).

i encourage you: cedez le passage, au'jourd hui.

No comments:

Post a Comment