Sunday, June 20, 2010

to do

my to-do list, for lack of any space on my hard drive, i am posting it here (and will cross them off as i finish . . . you know, it makes us list-makers actually feel accomplished!)

  • order patés . . . 82 of them. take a haitian staff and 410 gourdes.
  • finish testing. (one absentee to go, so its sort of a win).
  • write up portfolio assessments.
  • turn in my grades.
  • finish Liberty Academy photo collage (if i can find it hiding on my computer), finish kindergarten class photo collage.
  • take said photos, to a "photo place" here (if i can find one hiding in the city), and get a 16" x 20" print made of the school photos, and 11 8" x 10" of the class photos. (Well, i tried. my computer ate my photos and wouldn't let me edit them. and then shut down.)
  • Go to Deli Mart for my last one-on-one with Sarah. (moved to Wednesday!)
  • Bake 2 cakes, make homemade icing, and enough macaroni salad for 41 people.
  • Pack up my classroom.
and that is just by monday.

tuesday:
  • field day with the kids.
  • pick up patés, macaroni salad, cakes and pudding, get utensils and plates, and set up food for lunch by 11.
  • bake homemade cookies after school. at least 3 dozen. pray i have enough (and the right) ingredients. (woo-hoo! got the cookie dough made already tonight!)
  • finish packing up classroom. because let's be real: you saw my monday's list, the classroom will not be finished by then.
and until my departure:
  • wednesday morning: graduation rehearsal.
  • wednesday night: graduation.
  • thursday: likely more packing and cleaning.
  • thursday night: women's small group - ice cream and a movie.
  • friday night: birthday night, dress up. both are mandatory.
  • saturday: farron's birthday, and kay foun's for dinner. i'm over kay foun's and i rarely enjoy the food more than the company.
  • sunday: hopefully beach in montrouis. i would love to spend my last weekend on the shores of this nation. i'm not holding my breath.
  • clean the house.
  • sunday night: church. last service. lots of tears will be assumed.
  • monday: tour around haiti. hopefully headed north to cap hatien. again, not holding my breath because we all know even managing to get to the market is a feat and a half.
  • monday night: goodbyes and deli mart (it's usually a given). i don't think i can do this.
  • tuesday morning. wow. tuesday morning. we leave saint marc, and head to port-au-prince. i'm even typing in disbelief right now.
  • tuesday night: spend the night, in a tent, down by the-- rubble. bittersweet way to leave the country. on second thought, just plain miserable way to leave the country.
  • wednesday morning: i'm leaving, on a jet plane.
  • 6:55 wednesday night. arrive in Tampa (Lord willing!). cry with Christina. get an iphone 4. see my family. hickory hollow. i can't even contain my excitement!
it would do my heart no service to continue on with my plans for after that. but i will leave it at this: every moment from now into then is going to be jam-packed with busyness. i pray that the Lord will continue to bless my time here and pour into my heart. i pray that He allows me to get all this junk done so i can focus on the relationships i've made and enjoying my quickly-fleeting last moments here.

2 comments:

  1. "...Bake 2 cakes, make homemade icing, and enough macaroni salad for 41 people."

    u might not remember this but in the summer of 2008, i baked a cake for you and aidan on both of your return.

    congrats on your graduation and make that change since you already are the change that you want to see.

    take care and sincerely, i am

    your admirer,
    funky

    ReplyDelete
  2. i DO remember! in fact, i've told that story to people here when trying to sell people here on the couch-surfing idea! :) that was so wonderful! Thank you for the encouraging words! Glad all is well! -Rhi

    ReplyDelete