Wednesday, June 9, 2010

free refills



so let me just share a tid-bit of what God is still doing in my life:


after being pretty sick last week with stomach issues, i went to the clinic held by our wonderful US military and got a prescription filled for cipro and flagel, both to treat what they suspected to be a GI infection. fun! after taking the first dose on friday morning, i got really sick and wound up spending the latter half of the morning and early afternoon on the couch re-cooping. praise the Lord that the medicine did not continue to make me sick; rather, has finally put me back at optimal health, even though i misread the label, and have only been taking half of my recommended dose of the flagel (2 tablets, 3x daily!).



sunday, we spent a wonderful day at the beach, relaxing in the beauty of what God has created in Montrouis. at church that evening, i totally began to feel a fresh renewal of God’s presence in my heart. the message spoke so strongly to me, about having faith because God is God, and having hope because there is prayer. the speaker told an allegory of islands off the coast of Scotland, called the Hebrides. drunkeness and spiritual apathy ruled everyday life here. two elderly women prayed fervently for revival, to see young people in church, and for the people to turn their hearts to God. after many years of prayer, the island was radically transformed through revival (google this story, or find it on cbn.com). all because of the faith and prayer of two women.


i was immediately encouraged by this story, and also likened myself and Christina to these two women. i knew immediately that i had to share this with her, and commit to prayer for hope in her life, and ask her to partner with me for the same within mine. i am so blessed by her friendship, in addition to the others i am so blessed to call mes amis. but there is something so powerful, so edifying in friendships that are committed to the sole purpose of glorifying the Father.


at the end of the service, the speaker asked us to pray with the mothers and grandmothers surrounding us; it will be their prayers that will change this nation. separated by language, i prayed for the woman in front of me, laying my hands on her and lifting her life up to the Lord. not knowing her or her needs, i just allowed the spirit to lead my prayers and really could sense God's presence so near. after several minutes of prayer, the woman, noticeably crying, fell to her knees before the Lord. the speaker asked if anyone would like to accept Christ, and this woman raised her hand! my heart was SO overjoyed standing there, praying with her and knowing that God was working in her heart! she got up and went to sit on one of the bleachers with her children and i just watch her wipe the tears with a joyful expression as she prayed. after the service, she got up and came over to hug me. haitians never initiate this (unless they are the child). we exchanged God bless you's in creole, and each went on our way. i was so blessed by even playing an unseen, background part of this woman's story through my prayer in the moment. God is so good!


Monday was my morning to lead circle time with the kids, and going to bed on sunday, i still had no idea what i was going to do. fortunately, the Lord did. i woke up and knew what game i was going to play (the one where you stand in a close circle, grab each others' hands, and have to untangle the mess that you've made!) and what scripture i was going to talk about (romans 12, rejoicing with those that rejoice; weeping with those that weep). for not having been prepared, the Holy Spirit sure filled me with joy and enthusiasm as i led off with the tooty-ta and the game, and even gave me the words to share when talking about working together with our brother or sisters to work for the better good of the body (as illustrated in the game). i didn't feel like the two tied together as neatly as i would've liked, but sarah gave me encouraging feedback at our one-on-one that let me believe that God accomplished what He wanted to through my words.


but the real treat was yesterday. lacking personal space, privacy, and even really the opportunity to speak prayers out loud in no one's presence but the Lord, i slipped away to the prayer room in the afternoon. armed with my Bible, a prayer list and my journal, i sat before God and poured out my petitions to Him. even just in allowing the Spirit to lead my prayers, I felt like transformation and redemption was being spoken over a friend. i jotted this down as i kept praying. still more, it was being revealed that this time in her life is about remembering the Lord is provisional and faithful.


bathing another friend in prayer, i asked God to show me His heart for them. the Spirit led me to two separate verses: one exact one i had already given them nearly a year ago, and another that was meant to encourage. although it was for them, i am so blessed by the encouragement that it imparted to me, reminding me to remain hopeful and confident in the Lord.


after praying for the things and people on my list, and finishing with prayer over my transition back to the states and a job opportunity, i left at exactly 3 ... only to come home and find an email written at 2:50 (which would have been practically to the minute of when i was praying for a job) from a principal i had emailed my resume to! after applying to 45+ positions and having had no feedback as of yet, this brought so much encouragement to my life, and reminded me just how important and powerful prayer is!! i found out later that christina had been praying for me in those moments too! God is too good, and look at the glory it brings Him!


i had so many life-breathing conversations yesterday, especially with Christina. the encouragement, hope, and even the challenge that we offer each other is paramount only to Christ's truth and love.


last night, i spent another hour and a half in the prayer room just soaking in the presence of the Lord through worship. learning that i'm able to worship through writing has been so instrumental here. the last 20-or-so minutes i just copied verse after verse from Romans 15 and soaking up the rich goodness in those words. coming home and speaking to Christina just after reading them, i was able to offer scripture as an immediate remedy to her achy heart. the scripture that God gave me, Romans 15:13, is a reminder of our hope and confidence in Him. further, 15:1-5 talk about how the scriptures are written to bring us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises to be fulfilled! even the scriptures say that that is what they are for!!! I love the Lord and His word seriously fills me-- better than mountain dew slurpees. and with free refills.


No comments:

Post a Comment